Things I Wish I Knew Freshman Year of College

2:20 PM

Freshman year just ended for me, and it was definitely a learning experience. For the first time, I ventured out of my home into a new environment where I didn't know anybody. Eventually, I learned how to adapt to the college life, such as meeting new people, studying efficiently, surviving dorm food, etc. Here are some things I wish I knew freshman year:



  1. You might not be best friends with your roommate: Everyone hopes to be best friends with their roommate. It would definitely make dorm-living a lot more pleasant! Sadly, it doesn't always happen, especially if you take the 'random' roommate route. I did that, and I wasn't best friends with my roommate, but that didn't mean I didn't meet some awesome people on my floor. It's totally okay if you and your roommate don't get along; most schools have an option to switch rooms at the beginning of another term. For greater chances of being friends with your roommate, I suggest to find one yourself using your school's roommate matching app, and get to know that person as much as possible through social media or even meeting them in person if possible.
  2. You don't need to buy a lot of fancy stuff for your dorm: I was obsessed with wanting my dorm room to look pretty, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I went on to Pinterest and youtube and did a bunch of DIYs with friends. So much cheaper and a lot of fun! Also, since the dorm is pretty small, you don't wanna go overboard with the amount of things you bring. Try to keep it as minimal as possible, and bring the things you really need only, because you don't have a lot of storage space!
  3. You actually need to read the textbook, lecture notes just won't cut it: You'll only have a certain class for one hour, two to three days a week, for ten or so weeks, and that is not enough time to master everything taught in the class. You'll actually have to take textbook notes and study, because that's the only way you won't be surprised about the material tested during midterms! 
  4. You have to introduce yourself, not everyone is going to introduce themselves to you: Best way to make a friend? Go up to someone during orientation or welcome week or whenever and say, "Hi, I'm so-and-so," and start a conversation! Compliment their clothes, ask what their major is, how they like the school so far, etc. Just BE FRIENDLY, and you'll make friends easily.
  5. Join a group on campus: This is the best way to feel like you belong on campus. You will most likely make a group of friends too.
  6. WORK: College is expensive. Start earning now, especially when your classes are easier. Some people say that one shouldn't work if they don't need to, and should focus on keeping his or her GPA up. Well yeah, you should still try to maintain a good GPA, but working while studying will not only allow some extra pocket-money, but it will also teach you how to manage your time. Managing your time is so important, so better start early.
  7. Start looking for research early, and maybe even start it: This doesn't apply to everybody, since some people absolutely despise doing research. But for those who plan on doing it, start looking into professors' work early, and if any interest you, contact the professor to make an appointment.
  8. The smallest meal plan will probably be enough for you: Especially if you eat your own breakfast. I still had money left over despite getting the smallest meal plan.
  9. Start getting used to going to office hours: Yes I know the feeling, it is super intimidating to meet with your professor one on one. I was nervous at first, but I still made myself go to office hours to touch up on the materials covered in class. And this seriously helped tons; it was a difference between an A and a B in my case. If I hadn't gone to office hours, I probably wouldn't have the grades I got. Plus, it is a great way to getting letters of recommendations early on.
  10. Don't do anything stupid. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments